I can't seem to figure out how to get my settings back so I can view my friends page in the old format I had set up. If anyone can help me, it will prevent me from also leaving this place.
I don't want to sound old and set in my ways but after keeping this site working and looking exactly the same for over a decade, changing things makes it all look like shit and unfamiliar. My friends are no longer my friends in the friend feed. I want my friends page back!
I don't even know who reads this anymore or if anyone cares. I think at this point this is almost like having a private diary.
Right now, I'm five years into doing my kung-fu/acupuncture/herbal training with Greg. I think I'm healthier than I've ever been. I've not been 'sick' in any real way for almost two years now, and I put the blame for that squarely on the Chinese herbal tea regimen I've been on. My husband also has not been sick though I sometimes have to browbeat him into drinking his tea.
What's more important to me is that I've emotionally stabilized, I've started seeking joy and stability rather than chaos and anger. What this means is that I no longer spend my time reading/watching news and conspiracy theories and other types of cultural complaining. I think not following the latest rants from the people who think they know all the secrets has led me to a place of peace in my life.
The best thing is that settling into my marriage to Joel has also tamed my emotions a great deal. Basically, I'm no longer lonely and my desire for fame and fortune are so much more calm around him.
That's basically my status right now. I'm happy and healthy and continuing to work on exciting things.
Several in my tiny friends list have left due to not liking the changes here.
It's funny, but it occurred to me that LiveJournal should know better. REALLY. If people are still using LiveJournal it's because they hate change and want to do the same thing they were doing over a decade ago. So why are they making changes? They really should leave things as is and give people the ability to 'opt in' to a beta version or something.
I'm excited to announce that Nov 2 is set to be my Wedding Day. I'll be marrying Joel Barraqiel Tan. So far the details are still in the works but it's going to happen at YBCA during the Nunway 5 show, and we're most likely going to be married by Jane Wiedlan, of Go-Gos fame.
I'll be making up a invitation list and such but right now, I'm just excited to be have this huge day to plan.
It has been a long time since I posted here and there is a lot to talk about:
1) Today DOMA and Prop 8 got struck down. Lots of other bloggers cover this so I'll just say that it knocks down the final barrier for me to marry my boyfriend of three years.
2) I am in my fourth year of training in martial arts under a grandmaster. Every day is still exciting and now I can say that unless someone has practiced similarly for longer than I have and I mean similarly, I'm going to be hard to defeat. I've been pitted against other students of both my teacher and my teacher's teacher. The difference is that I pay to have my teacher come over to my house five times a week and the other students have been just going to class and missing the 'secret stuff'. While I still don't know how to deliver any blows, I can happily report that both senior students hurt themselves badly while trying to hit me. My stance and blocks are so strong they dislocate shoulders and break bones and that's just my defense! This year I'm starting to train my offense and I'm looking forward to learning the 'one shot kill' that made my teacher famous.
3) I visited Hawaii for the first time on my 40th birthday last year and have been back once already. The Big Island is easily the best of the islands in terms of what I like about Hawaii. The other islands are kinda gross with all the construction and resorts and toursits. Hilo, where I've stayed for the majority of my time in Hawaii, is where the natives go to hang out. It's cheaper, less touristy and there are lots of people who are organizing to challenge the Law Breaking US for occupying Hawaii unlawfully and deposing their rulers. It gives it a really interesting feel and definitely not the fakey-luau and hula type of stuff that the resorts do.
4) My love of authenticity has come to an end. It's pointless. And it's crazy. There is no such thing as authenticity and somehow, in our culture, we put huge stock into "authentic" and "original" when neither of those really have much meaning. For instance, when some restaurant claims to have 'Authentic Ethnic Food' you have to ask yourself what makes that ethnic food authentic? Say it's Indian food. What is Authentic Indian food? Something cooked by a mother for her family? Something that only contains ingredients from India? Sure you can make a 'classic' Tikka Masala or Butter Chicken but when you use meat and vegetables from 'local' sources, its no longer 'authentic'. Nothing drove this home more than visiting Hawaii and seeing how the natives talked derisively about the performances they put on for tourists. There is little authenticity in the hula and the fire dances. They're shows that encapsulate what most people associate with Hawaii but in most cases, don't actually portray 'authentic modern culture' or even ancient culture. Original hula was performed topless and contained deep spiritual messages.
5) I have achieved something of a 'critical mass' in terms of my writing. I've been writing for 13 years now into one particular storyline. While the earlier stuff really just became source material for later stuff, I can safely say that I'm approaching a level of complexity that could easily put me at the top of the pack for epic fantasy. However, I'm even more eager to plumb a new genre that I've been calling 'Conceptual Fantasy'. If you judge typical fantasy to be something where there is magic and fantastic creates(like Tolkien and similar) then conceptual fantasy would be about concepts and ideas that make the story different from the real world. An excellent example would be the Golden Compass and the Dark Materials series of books, where the story is basically a regular universe like ours only people's souls live outside their body as magical animals.
6) I am excited because this weekend I'm going to a 25th Anniversary party for my original D&D group that started back in High School. All my friends from High School are going to be there and it's sort of a 'nerd reunion' instead of a class reunion, since I barely remember the names of anyone else from school. Part of what's going to be strange for me is that it's been over 15 years since I played instead of ran and someone else is going to be running this story... so I get to do all the stuff I can't do when I'm running!
So that's my update. I'll try to post more often but I've been bad at keeping that sort of promise, historically!
you've always been someone who inspired greatness in the people around you talking of your principles and the gears that turn our nation You were always the person to look to for solid advice in love or law It's like a rare book store with one of kind copies has burned down No more referencing No more researching I've taken my mourning and twisted it into an invisible flower for you I never gave you flowers but now I'm starting with an invisible flower fed with tears from remembering all the encouragement and love you gave me Thank you for shining on me and I hope that what I've become makes you happy
I'm helping produce Project Nunway 4. This year's concept is 'Flora' and we're having it at the San Francisco AIDS Grove in Golden Gate Park for World AIDS Day.
As we're planning the idea of having a Caligula-like backdrop in the forest surrounding the grove of fursuiters in some funky fursuits having animal sex while the procession of nuns walk up with their floral-inspired outfits!
Last year's theme was the apocalypse and we had some amazing outfits!
So! Feedback? Who wants to get involved with this? What sorts of problems do you foresee? Having been new to operating a fursuit event, we're willing to go to whatever lengths we need to in order to make people feel safe about participating.
Feel free to repost in any community that would be interested in this!